Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Movie reviews

While on break, I had the rare opportunity to catch up on a bunch of movies I have been meaning to see. Below, in no particular order, I attempt to summarize what to see/rent.

Closer: Complex. Lots of relationship stuff. Good sex scenes. Jude Law is hot. Don't go with a boyfriend/girlfriend you have ever cheated on or one who suspects you are cheating. Will cause delusional bouts of paranoia and possibly lead to therapy on someone's part. Not a "feel good" kind of movie, but well-made and raises some interesting dynamics you rarely see on a movie screen. Grade: B+

The Princess Diaries 2 - Royal Engagement: I embarrassingly own the first installment of this on DVD, and I love that Mary Poppins is in this, but Julie Andrews is clearly hurting for money. This is one of the worst sequels ever. Why? I don't have enough room or time to list the reasons, but Raven from the Cosby Show is in it, is that enough information for you? Don't waste your money - watching this sequel will ruin even the first movie. Grade: D-

Meet the Fockers: Hilarious. Barbra Streisand is genius (and not just because I am Jewish and my people tend to love her). Ben Stiller is adorable. Teri Polo doesn't act for shit in this movie, and neither does Blythe Danner, despite being a phenomenal actress in other films. Robert DeNiro is one of my favorite actors ever, and still manages to be hot at the ripe old age of...well, ancient. Owen Wilson manages a cameo, but since I'm obsessed with him the cameo is not nearly as long as I'd have liked it to be. Certainly not an Oscar-contender, but well worth the movie ticket so you can laugh hysterically. Grade: A-

Napoleon Dynamite: Quirky. Similar to the style of "The Girl Next Door" (one of my favorites of this year), except for no one ever gets laid. Virtually no plot, but scene-to-scene, this movie is so funny. Napoleon is so cute, and I just want to go out with him and clue him into something, anything. The guy makes no eye contact, is a little socially awkward, and speaks in a monotonous voice. I have been known to like guys like this. I wish he would exist in real life; I'd date him. Grade: B

Unrelated: is anyone looking at the hit counter? It now says "666". This is creepy. Anyone up to hitting the blog? I don't want to be associated with Satan.

4 Comments:

At Wednesday, December 29, 2004, Blogger KA said...

Hey, everyone matters - even you.

 
At Wednesday, December 29, 2004, Blogger Kyle said...

Hey Karen, I like the movie reviews. Nice variety. I think you should expand this and do a segment from the female perspective on adult films. Maybe review them? I think it would be good discussion.

Keep up the good work KA.

 
At Wednesday, December 29, 2004, Blogger KA said...

Thanks, Kyle. Appreciate ya.

You are one step ahead of me - I am open to reader ideas, so I am looking into your idea as we speak. Does Netflix have a "dirty" section?

 
At Wednesday, December 29, 2004, Blogger Kyle said...

I don't know about netflix. You could also review online porn and provide links to what you like. That would allow people to check it out easily.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares