The Short Man/Tall Man Theory: Just Some Thoughts
I was talking to my mom, of all people, a while ago, and explaining to her why I no longer date short men, with short men being classified as "men that are my height or shorter, or maybe even an inch or two taller". (I am 5'3 1/2" on a tall day.) I was trying to explain that short men seem to have aesthetic issues that no woman can solve, and that due to a slew of bad experiences with short men, I swore them off about two years ago and now prefer guys that are at least six feet tall. (Although really, anyone 5'9" or taller is acceptable - and I have dated guys that are shorter than six feet since the swear-off.) She then explained her completely unproven theory about men and height, which can only be explained by the shitty camera-phone illustrations below. Here they are (I'll trust you to figure it out):
The Tall Man

VERSUS

The Short Man

Now personally, I haven't really found this to be true. I think men are like snowflakes, each one unique. But I digress. That conversation did get me thinking about why male height is such an issue for me, and it made me wonder if this is an issue for anyone else, or if it's just one of my weird idiosyncratic quirks. Does anyone else out there automatically rule out short guys? Do guys prefer girls that are shorter than them? Is height ever an issue?


8 Comments:
ok first, E if you're reading this you may wanna stop. as my bro this is prolly more info than you wanna know.
your mom's little short/tall theory so not true. at least not in my experience. granted i haven't exactly done extensive research on the subject, but for the most part i've found the opposite to be true. your snowflake theory is much more accurate.
as for height, girl you need to back the heck off my tall boys. leave the taller than 6ft to us ladies that, in heels, are amazons.
i've dated short, and i've dated tall. and i have to say there's just something about having a boy being able to engulf you when they put their arms around you.
E, I think that yes, relatively speaking, the theory works. But this doesn't rid us of the true issue at hand, which is that short guys tend to have issues. Sure, there's your occasional confident, cool short guy...and MJ isn't guilty of whacking little boys.
sara, I'm with you. I like the guy to be taller, bigger, and eat more meat than me. Which is quite a feat because I do eat a lot of meat. Sometimes I just have a piece of ham and a piece of cheese for a snack. Meat is good.
Wow. Great responses. Now let's discuss.
Flynn, I agree with E. I think short guys, like old toothless women, can't afford to be too picky. I think they're just happy they're getting it on a regular basis, short or tall. And don't make yourself out to be a pariah...I have seen you in rollerblades before and you are a sight for sore eyes. I think it's a conundrum, but just remember my mama's theory and go forth. Do as I say, not as I do.
San, yes we are shallow. That was by and large the best Revere comment I have ever read...even better than Chief's Richfield vs. Bath debate on the Chief Source about a month back. File is great, and although I'm sure history and a lack of mutual attraction would prevent us from ever having any sort of rendezvous, you are absolutely right. I would pick him in a heartbeat. Although history would argue that I'd just prefer to take a friend of his instead.
There are guys shorter then 5'3"?
Not much else to add on your debate, just didnt know there were enough out there to have multiple encounters. i dont even know if i know anyone guys that short
and Sandy, good to see the nice perspective. but i think everyone is kinda shallow. you just have to be reasonable
Oh Chuck. Easy for you to say, you are nice and tall. Yum.
Trust me, there are guys that are 5'3" or shorter. They do exist. In my experience, a girl has either dealt with a lot of short guys or she hasn't. Usually, shorter girls such as myself are the ones who have, simply because short guys think that either height makes no difference to short girls, or that they have better odds with someone who is around their height.
And to Sandy's point, I realize that having criteria like this is considered "shallow", but you know what? I also recognize that guys have the prerogative to rule me out, too. I wouldn't blame a guy who said that he didn't like brunettes or girls that won't shut up, two characteristics that people have flat out called me out on before. I'd applaud him for knowing what he wanted, and knowing specifically that he didn't want me. At the end of the day, it saves a lot of time and trouble.
Marty, thank you for your thoughts. As always, good comments are welcome. Unless you're Adam Selby, apparently, because we basically killed him on this board about 7 comments ago. I feel sort of bad, but Sandy's point was relevant. I guess he ended up being blog roadkill?
Just my 2 cents or nickels, since 2 nickels are about what it costs in Chicago to get 2 pennies...
I believe there is some truth in the fact that some women enjoy dating higher men because there is some feeling of being "smaller" than they are. Height provides comfort, at times it makes them feel slimer, and doesn't make the woman feel like she is "dominating" the man.
Now, I know for a fact, there are women out there, who I will term "New-age" women, who won't even go through a door that a man opens (yes, I've had it happen to me multiple times). These women probably dig the short guy, b/c they feel that they are able to dominate over them and not feel "dependent" on them.
Well, I've only dated shorter women, so I'm not 100% sure of their theories, but those are my thoughts.
Post a Comment
<< Home